Monday, June 4, 2012

Who Knew???

Three words.
Squash. Vine. Borers.
Who knew these tiny little disgusting grubby things even existed? Who knew they could RUIN your entire plant before you even knew they were there? Who knew that some people don't even attempt to grow squash/zucchini in Texas because of these horrible little creatures?
Well I sure know now. Oh the joys of gardening.
One day I noticed that the squash leaves were a little bit droopy. I watered them and by evening they had perked up. I thought that it might have been the heat.
The next day they were droopy- and so were my zucchini plants. One quick Google of "droopy squash leaves" gave me an instant answer.
Squash Vine Borers = Dead Squash and Zucchini = Very Sad Day

Jason admiring the root system- wishing he could get grass roots that looked like that!

 These plants were overtaking my garden, and it looked so bare without them!
Since then I have planted a few things in their place including one zucchini plant. I have loved having fresh zucchini for zucchini chips and homemade zucchini bread (SOOOO good!). We will see if the Borers return...
Oh the dramatic life of a gardener. :)

2 comments:

  1. Agreed! So frustrating! K came to me yesterday and said "Another squash plant died." I think we harvested a whopping 3 zucchini this year...I'm giving up.

    ReplyDelete