Thursday, December 24, 2009

Mary

But the angel said to her, "Do not be afraid, Mary, you have found favor with God. You will be with child and give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus. He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, and he will reign over the house of Jacob forever; his kingdom will never end."
Luke 1:30-33

And Mary said:
"My soul glorifies the Lord and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior, for he has been mindful of the humble state of his servant. From now on all generations will call me blessed, for the Mighty One has done great things for me- holy is his name. His mercy extends to those who fear him, from generation to generation. He has performed mighty deeds with his arm; he has scattered those who are proud in their inmost thoughts. He has brought down rulers from their thrones but has lifted up the humble. He has filled the hungry with good things but has sent the rich away empty. He has helped his servant Israel, remembering to be merciful to Abraham and his descendants forever, even as he said to our fathers."
Luke 1:46-55

Okay. Lots to think about when reading the story of the birth of Jesus. Can you imagine being Mary and having an angel appear to you, saying that you will give birth to the "Son of the Most High?" Talk about overwhelming news! I just wonder what her pregnancy was like. And the ride to Bethelehem on a donkey?? Really? I guess my pregnancy really wasn't that bad! I wonder if she was spared any of the pains of labor. I would love to sit down and talk to Mary. Mom to Mom. I wish we had more information about Jesus as an infant, toddler, or even pre-teen. How did she know how to be the parent of Jesus? I wonder if Mary was confident, or felt like she was fumbling in the dark as I often do with Bryson.

Just a few thoughts I wanted to share as I sit and think about the birth of Jesus this Christmas season. I guess I have a whole new perspective, being a new mom myself. I pray that I would handle each situation that is thrown at me with the grace that Mary did.

"I am the Lord's servant," Mary answered. "May it be to me as you have said."
Luke 1:38

No comments:

Post a Comment