Monday, May 17, 2010

Deja vu (x2?)

Yesterday I spent most of my afternoon at the mall hustling around trying to find last minute items we need for Amy's wedding weekend. Usually I love the mall, and anything that has to do with shopping. But yesterday I would have much rather been at home with my boys, enjoying the beautiful afternoon. So, as I was literally running from store to store, trying to find a white button up shirt with no pocket, an outfit for Bryson to wear to the wedding, and shoes to wear with my dress, I was not in the best of moods. I was getting easily aggravated by sales people who seemed to have no concept of time, and shoppers who walked at the slowest pace imaginable.
Anybody who knows me well knows that a coke (or Sweet Tea) usually always make me smile. Weird I know- but there just aren't many things that beat an ice cold Sonic drink. I think I have my mom to thank for that. Anyways, I decided to take a Sonic break and try to relax for a minute- maybe enjoy my time at the mall. As I was standing off to the side waiting for my drink, I noticed a lady, also waiting for her drink, who looked very familiar. It wasn't long before I realized exactly where I knew her from. I had admitted her onto our home health services while I was pregnant with Bryson. The details of her heartbreaking story came back to me one piece at a time, until I remembered it all- that she is in her fifties, has a diagnosis of colon cancer, had to have a huge portion of her colon removed leaving her with a colonoscopy and a huge wound that wouldn't heal, and that she had a daughter about my age with a grand baby about a year older than Bryson. I even remembered where she lived. As I stood there remembering all of this, I noticed she was wearing a department store name tag. Here she was, working at the mall- also with a less than enthusiastic look on her face. Not knowing if I should speak I turned and faced her. I smiled, then she smiled. Of course- when I have the chance to speak or not, I usually opt for the first choice. So, I told her that I thought she looked familiar and that I was pretty sure I had taken care of her through our agency a couple of times. She immediately smiled, then went into all of the details of her illness now. It turns out that she has been doing very well with no complications after the cancer. Until recently. She just went back to the doctor and was told that the cancer is back. She has switched oncologists and is praying for a better outcome this time. She seemed very down, but was so forthcoming with her story. I wished her luck and told her goodbye. We parted ways. Weird meeting, I know. Weird that she told me all of the details of her life now. Weird that I know that she recognized my face, but probably has no idea what my name is (and I honestly don't remember hers either). So, as I walked away yesterday, I prayed for that woman. I thanked God for being in control of our lives, and for bringing someone along at the moment when we just need someone to listen, or someone to smile, or someone to pray. I walked away thanking God that even though I was aggravated at my circumstances- my circumstances were not too shabby.
Fast forward to this morning. I was taking Bryson to Erin's and at the last moment made a decision to stop at Taco Cabana for a breakfast taco. I have not eaten breakfast there in years. Anyways, I got my taco, then pulled back out to head to Erin's. While I was waiting at the stoplight, I pulled out my taco and was about to take a huge bite when I looked over to my right. There, in a white minivan with un-tinted windows was the SAME lady! I don't know if anybody else realizes this, but the Brazos Valley is a pretty big place. I was staring I'm sure, and almost wanted to hide my head for fear that she might see me and think I'm stalking her. What in the world!?!?!
So, I prayed for her again this morning. I'm not sure if she was going to her first chemo treatment with her new doctor, or just running to the post-office; but for some reason we were again in the same place at the same time. She's on my heart tonight, and I'm praying again. I don't even know her- but can't imagine being faced with the life she's living every day.
Thanking God tonight for His mercy and love.
~Court

3 comments:

  1. Great to read your story and remind me to slow down and recognize others around me. THankful that you were able to recognize that God put this lady in your presence twice for some reason. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You truly amaze me with how much you really care about people. I think back to the blog about the young mother at chick-fil-a, and now this. There needs to be more people like you that really care about their patients (they are lucky to have you).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Courtney, that is so inspiring! Thanks for sharing! God's love shines through you as you follow HIM and really LOVE other!!
    i miss you!!
    love,
    Tahrea

    ReplyDelete