Yesterday I had an appointment with my regular obstetrician Dr. Nancy Bertsch. I have not seen or spoken to her since she first delivered the spina bifida diagnosis and made the referral on to the specialist.
I was actually looking forward to the visit and to getting to sit down and tell her everything that we have learned over the last three weeks.
When she walked in she told me that she had been receiving visit notes from all of our visits at Texas Children's Hospital, and she was actually pretty up to date on our case. If everything goes well after the in-utero repair I may get to come home after a few weeks in Houston. If so, I will get to see Dr. Bertsch and a local perinatologist every other week and see TCH/Baylor doctors on the alternating weeks. That sounds amazing to me at this point- just praying that works out.
We also talked about how early Caroline might arrive. If I make it until 34 weeks, which is the goal of the surgeons, I will deliver on or around February 20th. Just putting everything into perspective.
We also talked about how early Caroline might arrive. If I make it until 34 weeks, which is the goal of the surgeons, I will deliver on or around February 20th. Just putting everything into perspective.
Onto the stats---
How Far Along: 22 weeks
Size of baby: about 11 inches long
Total Weight Gain/Loss: 6 pounds gained
Maternity Clothes: Yes
Gender: precious baby GIRL!
Name: Caroline Grace Ruple
Movement: lots of movement- Dr. Bertsch could see her moving when she was measuring my belly.
Sleep: Still not too bad (other than this horrible cough I have that is keeping me awake). Of course still waking up to go to the bathroom about once a night.
What I miss: Sandwich meat!
Cravings: Jimmy John's - may be my first meal after delivery- do they have those in Houston? :)
Symptoms: Really just heartburn- pretty used to it by now!
Best Moment this week: Hearing Bryson say Caroline's name when pointing to her stocking. Love that sweet boy and can't wait to see him in action as a big brother!
The baby is the size of a: Spaghetti Squash
*Yesterday my blood pressure was 113/72 which is the best it has been at a doctor's office since having Bryson! That was actually really encouraging because I always worry about my blood pressure (which probably doesn't help the situation!).

It's really hard for me to believe that of all the things you could miss.......sandwich meat????? I truly think I could go forever without another piece of sandwich meat and be okay with it.
ReplyDeleteThanks for keeping us updated. Love You!!
Aunt Kathy
It's been a real blessing keeping up with you after Josh & Katie told us your story. We have a great group of prayer warriors here in Spearman,Tx that are praying for you and Caroline. Great that your bp is down and under control, Thankful for answered prayers, Joe & Nita Bynum (Josh's grandparents)
ReplyDeleteThanks for the update! Isn't it so fun having four stockings hanging up? :) Praying for you guys, and so thankful for all of the support you guys have from local family and friends. Lots of love to you guys!
ReplyDelete