Thursday, March 29, 2012

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease

Friday night (3/16/12) Bryson started saying that his mouth hurt (of course he gets sick when Jason is out of town!). He would not eat dinner and even woke up in the night crying, again saying that his mouth hurt. I couldn't see anything, so Mom and I decided to take him to Urgent Care the next morning. I did not want to wait until Saturday afternoon and end up in the ER if something was really wrong.
The doctor couldn't really see anything either, but said it could be the beginning of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. He said we should know pretty quickly.
That afternoon this blister popped up on his lower lip. Poor baby! It ended up getting much worse before it got better.
On Sunday night he finally let me look in his mouth and I could see ulcers all over the back of his throat including the roof of his mouth, and on his tonsils. I took him back in to see the pediatrician Monday morning just to make sure it wasn't strep. She said it was definitely Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease. Fortunately he didn't have blisters anywhere else and started eating again on Monday. We have friends who have had it so much worse! We are thankful that Bryson only had a mild case and that it didn't bother him for very long.

No comments:

Post a Comment