We spent most of the day on Christmas Eve lounging around in our pajamas. It was cold and wet and rainy, and we really didn't have a reason to do anything other than lounge. It was so nice! That evening we actually got cleaned up and headed to our Candlelight Christmas Eve service at church. I definitely had my doubts about going. I have been an emotional wreck lately, and had visions of breaking out into a full-on hysterical cry in the middle of the service. That seems to be what I do lately. But, I decided to try. The thought of a beautiful Christmas service was nice, especially since I didn't think I would be home for Christmas at all. Trying to find the silver lining here...
We found a place in the church to sit--- it was so crowded! And did I mention that there is NO childcare during this service?! That's right- my all-boy two-year-old was expected to sit through a church service. I was praying that it was short and he was quiet. He did pretty well. He enjoyed the singing and was even singing along most of the time (although I have no idea what he was actually saying!). Then it was time for the children's story. Que my total panic. Not only was my two-year-old now heading to the stage with Sam and Reagan, but they picked the TOP ROW to sit on. Right next to the huge bouquet of flowers. I could just see him pulling the flowers over on top of himself- or onto another kid. The worst case scenario automatically reeled through my mind. He stood up the whole time, which in turn lead to Reagan standing up. He looked around. Screamed "Where's Maddie?" over and over again. At one point the music minister went and sat behind him and Reagan. I leaned over and told Jenny that I thought our kids just got disciplined during the children's story. Oh that kid! After it was over Jason had to go get him as he took off across the stage. My friend Beth came up after the service and said "Bryson is quite the entertainer!" That is an understatement.
B and friends...
This is the best family photo we got. Bryson AND Jason were. not. having. it.
The service was beautiful. At the end everyone in the congregation had a lit candle and the lights were dim, and we sang. We sang of our Savior coming all those years ago to be born in a stable. It was very moving.
I cried off and on throughout the service. Just seeing a baby up on the big screen lead to a flood of tears in the beginning. I thought of my Caroline, up in Heaven, celebrating with Jesus. I know that I've written that a few times now, but what a thought. What a comfort for this Momma.
B enjoyed a candy cane he got during children's time all the way home. This was the result of that. I think the candy cane won. :)
When we got home we made cookies for Santa and his goats. :)
We have a tradition of getting to open one gift on Christmas Eve before bedtime. It is always a new pair of Christmas pajamas...
This year we broke that rule and did two gifts. A boy's gotta have his Elmo house shoes!
Checking on the cookies...
So we have officially been broken into Christmas parenting. Jason was up until 1am putting together this train table from Santa. He was SO frustrated and said that he will definitely be approving/denying any future Santa gifts.
Scott and Jared were both at our house around midnight. One was wrapping gifts for his wife. One brought batteries that Jason needed for Bryson's gift and took home a different size battery that he needed for one of his kids' gifts. Wilson was up until (I think) 2:30am putting together a trampoline in the cold. Is this what parents do? Is this what my parents did? I spent the night making homemade cinnamon rolls (who knew they had to rise TWICE for an hour EACH time?) and listening to Christmas music. I loved every minute of it (and Jason really did, too).

I'll never forget one Christmas that Uncle Wayne was putting together a kitchen for Kandra. It included the stove, refrigerator, sink and cabinets. I had taken Kandra and gone somewhere (probably to Mom and Dad's), but I really don't remember where. But I DO remember that when we came home 4 hours later, it still wasn't together. We had to leave again. I think it actually took about 6 or 7 hours to get it all together. And, then we had to hide it. He was not a happy camper. That was the last time for a gift like that. And, yes, Sweetie, that's what your parents did. And they had 3 of you!!!!! Give your mom and dad a big hug.
ReplyDeleteAunt Kathy